Tuesday, April 20, 2010

In Iraq, Killing In The Name Of Peace

Headlines: US and Iraq forces killed 2 Al-Qaeda leaders, supposedly breaking the back of Al-Qaeda in Iraq. To put this "wonderful" news in perspective, I explained it to my 9 year old grandson in a hypothetical conversation.

"A great event in American history has just taken place," I told him. "The U.S. and Iraq military forces blew up a compound, killing 2 militants among the dead, and seizing 16 others. And 1 U.S. soldier was killed."

"What's a militant," he asked. "That's anyone who opposes the U.S. military in Iraq," I replied. "They're also called terrorists and dissidents."

"What about the families of the dead," he inquired. "Won't they cry?" "They will," I answered, but they'll have to understand, this should help bring peace in Iraq."

With a puzzled look on his face he said, "My parents told me killing is wrong, it's a sin." "Not during war," I quickly answered. "It's a great honor. Those who fired the rockets are heroes and will probably receive medals and promotions."

"How will this bring peace to Iraq," he asked. "Won't others take the place of those who were killed?" "Well, yes," I replied, trying not to get exasperated at his simple questions because he's only 9.

"What did this killing accomplish," he asked with a confused look on his face.

"Maybe now they can bring some of the U.S. soldiers home sooner," I answered. "But why can't they do that anyway," he asked.

"You just don't understand," I replied, barely able to hold in my aggravation. "This is a great event, and it's headlined all over America." But the little guy is so naive, he still didn't understand the greatness in the event.

Maybe you could do better than me. How would you explain it to your children?

Dick [updated 4/22/10]

1 comment:

beachfnt said...

This was a nice way to break this war down into its simplest terms. There is no way to justify our presence in terms of blood or treasure.

Rapping oneself in the flag and saying that by speaking out against the war because that doesn't support the troops simply dishonors our founding forefathers. And it is anathema to everything on which this country was built.

We are bankrupting ourselves literally to support this empire. Perhaps it is time for your grandson to learn the old military phrase FUBAR as that is what this is!