Friday, June 18, 2010

Do You Know Me? I'm Jesus

You may not recognize me today for I wear contemporary clothing. Instead of a robe, I wear pants and a shirt and my hair is short. Something else that may surprise you is that in a prior life to this one, I was a woman. If that is hard for you to believe, think of another enlightened being, Mother Teresa.

Since ancient times, I've never owned a home, but wandered from place to place, and that today makes me homeless. You think of me as a carpenter but actually I did manual labor then, just as I do now. But what I've always been is a teacher, sharing what I've learned on my spiritual journey.

I've never had much money nor have I had friendships with the rich and powerful, for my relationships have always been with those I meet. And the knowledge I share has always been free and welcome to all.

I've been on so many battle fields and my heart aches for the extreme level of loss and suffering I've witnessed. In recent times, as bombs indiscriminately kill, I've seen mothers bent over their dead children crying out in pain so severe, nothing can ease it. Today, when I see a peace vigil, I join it and I pray for peace. I regret there aren't more vigils and more people calling for peace.

2000 years ago, I spoke for love and for peace and strongly encouraged the Jewish leadership and their wealthy supporters to share with the many who had so little. The response was to nail me to a cross. I speak out today but hardly anyone listens.

I'm revered in churches all over the world but few people know my message and even fewer practice it. If you would like to know my message, please read the Sermon on the Mount. [www.LifeofChrist.com/teachings/sermons/mount] I teach love, charity and respect, compassion and forgiveness, not revenge and never war.

Today's wars violate everything I stand for and reaffirm that my message is not being heard. For how could I support the killing of my brethren in the name of peace? How can anyone who believes in my message commit these evil acts or remain silent while they are happening?

For two thousand years, I've raised my voice for love and peace for all mankind. Will you too have the courage to help uplift this deeply troubled world?

People may sarcastically say, "Who are you to speak of love and of peace?" But their criticism is irrelevant, for you will be in good company. Throughout the ages, many compassionate people have faced such skepticism, some being killed for their views. Today, I have few real followers. Are we to stand alone or will you have the courage to stand with us?

You need not be religious for I've never practiced Christianity and the Jewish leaders rejected me. The choice is yours and your actions, not your wishes, shall define who you really are and offer greater meaning to your soul.

2 comments:

beachfnt said...

Your writing reminded me of something: I declared war and unleashed shock and awe after receiving the world's sympathy, pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name. During Katrina, I wore a President's rank, pleased to meet you hope you guess my name...

It would be interesting to witness the reaction to Jesus walking the earth. For Christians, he is the Savior and your piece is an excellent reminder that "whatsoever you do the the least of my people that you do unto me."

Sadly it is much easier praying and honoring the idea of Jesus but living his teachings and honoring who he would be if he came back as he was would be a much different proposition...

Dick Kazan said...

It is far easier to proclaim one's Christianity than to live it as defined in the Sermon on the Mount. But if that's so, what is a Christian?

For a President of the U.S., it is the appearance of being a good Christian that counts, going to church and proclaiming one's fidelity to Jesus and his teachings. But as we've seen, including with the current President, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, nothing gets in the way of war.

American kills and maims men, women and children in the name of peace, Jesus' teachings be damned.

Dick