Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Baby Bird Lands In Our Lives

Recently (5/21/12), I heard a baby black bird crying and saw him hopping around frightened and lost in my backyard. When he saw me, he tried to fly away but failed, unable to use his wings.

He had the most forlorn look as his cries continued and I knew he would be easy prey to a cat or another predator if he was not quickly rescued. Not knowing how to help him, I got on the computer and found the Point Vicente Animal Hospital and called them with my sad tale.

Within 15 minutes a young man and woman arrived and they gently captured this baby bird, put him in  a cage and took him to their hospital. Later, I received a phone message from a veterinarian saying this baby bird was "a little dehydrated and thin" and she and others at the hospital would care for him and attempt to nurse him back to health.

A day or two later came another phone call from the hospital to say they were hand feeding him and were hopeful for his recovery. During the Memorial Day weekend that followed, one of their "techs" took this baby bird home with her to care for him.

However, last Tuesday, I got a phone call to say this little guy had passed away. The woman who called, Joanie Hunter, explained that because he was so small and weak, and apparently believing he wouldn't survive, his parents likely shoved him from the nest. It was sad but simply part of nature.

But she added that he spent the final days of his life not as prey in a brutal death, but nurtured and fed by others who gave him love and attention. She felt this was the nicest possible way for him to conclude his life and I am thankful for the care this tiny guy received. And they declined to bill me for the professional care they rendered to him, caring as much for his well-being as I did. Their kindness and compassion are deeply appreciated.

Dick
Note: The Point Vicente Animal Hospital is located in Rancho Palos Verdes (Los Angeles area), California. To learn more about this hospital, please see http://www.pointvicentevet.com/ Thank you to Joanie and to Dr. Teresa Micco, and to Tina, Jermaine, Megan and Debbie.

No comments: