Monday, November 17, 2014

"They'll Rob You Blind"

"They'll rob you blind, if you don't keep an eye on them." These are words I heard as I grew up and as a result, I kept an eye on people.

But now at the age of 69, here is what my experience has taught me:

I've found most people are inherently honest and will not violate your or my trust.

People coming into my home or my office have not taken anything. This includes people who clean homes, janitorial services, maintenance staff, repair people, construction people, clerical and other personnel, movers, you name it.

And as time has gone on, I don't waste my peace of mind spying on them.

A few years ago, I sent cash in the mail. My letter was damaged and the postal employees found my money, which they returned to me in full, with an apology for damaging the letter.

This past summer while at the beach, I left my saddles in the sand to go swimming. When I came out, the sandles were gone. In response, I smiled and shrugged realizing someone else needed those sandles more than I did.

Here is the point: Life is brief and at its end, nothing we own will come with us.

Instead of living a life of fear, that someone may take what is ours, it is far better to be trusting and happy, by letting go of our anxieties and making the most of the time we are here.

Dick

No comments: