Friday, May 18, 2012

The Breath of Life

Would you like a short and simple way to reduce your stress and strengthen your body? It is something that will cost you nothing and it can be done almost anywhere. What I am about to share with you is something I have diligently practiced over the last several years that has done wonders for me and it could do wonders for you.

Sometime each day or evening, lay down comfortably on your back, as you unload your spine and then rest your head and neck on a pillow. Then consciously relax your muscles and rest your hands on your chest or alongside of you.

Now, for the next 10 minutes, give yourself the breath of life. Close your eyes and inhale deeply through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Each time you inhale, feel the clean air fill your lungs and travel through the cells of your body. Each time you exhale, feel your body cleansing itself of its wastes and feel your mind cleansing itself of its concerns.

When you finish, your mind will feel sharper and more relaxed and your body will feel stronger.

As an intense person, I began doing this relaxed deep breathing during the day to ease my mind but also to help relieve my lower back pain. And it has succeeded admirably. When I return to work, it is with a relaxed feeling from head to toe, and shortly afterwards, I often have some of my most creative moments.

Try this 10 minute breath of life and feel it work wonders for you. You will be thankful you did as it becomes as much an essential part of your life as it has in mine.

Dick
Note: I was introduced to this concept in "The Women's Book of Spirit," by Sue Patton Thoele and I have adapted it to the approach shared with you today dear reader.

No comments: