Sunday, August 16, 2015

If You Only Knew

So often we judge people, though knowing nothing about their journey in this life.

Yesterday, I contributed to a charity I had never heard of, in which a tall, gaunt man stood in front of a lock box, collecting funds.

I was friendly to him and praised him for donating his time. But at one point criticized him for not having deduction receipts available, so people like me could take a tax deduction. I guided him on how to create a receipt, which he did for me.

Later, I felt ashamed and put my receipt in a recycle container. I had known nothing of this man's journey in life, but could see he had been through a lot, perhaps including alcoholism.

Instead of being criticized, he needed love and a pat on the back. Fortunately, as we parted company, I shook his hand, thanked him and wished him well.

This piece is a step on my path to more compassionate understanding, and will hopefully serve you as well dear reader, as we both seek personal growth and to bring happiness to others.

Dick


No comments: